I have not posted in a while as the adventure has been on hiatus. I received some 15mm Old Glory Egyptian troops but really don't like the way they painted up. I am my own worst critic, but something about the all white uniform and red fez, which I have difficulty painting red, have really stumped me. I have tried a couple of techniques but I am not enjoying painting the Egyptians, maybe it is the poses or perhaps just my technique but I am not feeling them. So I may paint them up slightly different as Bizerrcans. I have ordered several packs of Pendraken 10mm Sudan and have been waiting a couple of weeks now for them to arrive. I have not played any other colonial games lately but have been reading and scheming. I have been experimenting with building palm trees and terrain but am not happy with these efforts either. Who thought desert terrain would be so hard to get correct. I am hoping the Pendraken 10mm figures fit the bill. I have been drawn to 10mm figs for a while and hopefully the mass feel and level of detail will give me a fix. I will try and post some pics of various stages of modeling in a couple of days and of the new Pendraken minis when they arrive.
ciao,
Miracle In the Air by General Pettygree
12 hours ago
Good to see you posting again. Red does not do well over black or grey priming . . . unless you use white over the darker color and then paint the red over the white.
ReplyDeleteIf I recall correctly, I think that the Egyptians might have had a blue tunic for one of their uniforms . . . although I might be mistaken about that. Some research might help. Also the I think that the red was a bit of a darker red and not a "bright" red.
-- Jeff
Yeah they had a winter uniform but that was later in the second Mahdist war, I believe and the officers wore blue uniforms, and the Sudan colonial troops wore blue leggings.
ReplyDeleteGW's Foundation paint line has a darkish red that covers well. I've used it on some of my minis. I've also used other light colors that contain some white, such as buff or cream, as a basis for red on a black undercoat. These colors cover pretty well and have a bit of warmth to liven up the red.
ReplyDelete